Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Westbrook, Andrews Make Pro-Bowl






















Finally, Brian Westbrook is getting his due.

Fans in Philadelphia have known for years how special a player Westbrook is. And as amazing as Westbrook has been during his six years in the NFL, he is an even more unbelievable team player.

Westbrook will make his second trip to the Pro Bowl in February as he, along with guard Shawn Andrews were voted to the NFC's Pro Bowl squad as reserves. Defensive end Trent Cole was named as a first alternate, despite being third in the NFL with 12.5 sacks - the most by an Eagle since Hugh Douglas had that amount in 2002.

"I think it's a big deal for me to make it. I've worked hard," said Westbrook during a press conference Tuesday. "My teammates have worked really hard to put me in this position. It's a big deal for us as a team and myself as a player as well. I continue to tip my hat off to my teammates for showing me the way to work hard and provide me with the opportunities to do the great things I've been able to do on the football field."

Sure, Westbrook has been to the Pro Bowl before. But that was after the 2004 season as an alternate. He replaced Seattle's Shaun Alexander. This is the first time he has been voted in.

"When you get voted to go play in the all-star game by your peers and the other coaches, it's definitely validates you as a player," said Westbrook. "I'm excited to have the opportunity."

Westbrook has received a lot of national publicity over the past few days for his selfless act which sealed the win in Dallas. Westbrook broke off a 24-yard run and was a mere one yard shy of his eighth rushing touchdown of the season. But offensive tackle Jon Runyan told him to kneel so the Eagles could run out the clock and Westbrook obliged. The Eagles became the first NFC team to beat Dallas this season by a 10-6 score.


Click here for more: LINK