Thursday, February 21, 2008

Offseason Feelings

It's the offseason. I always have mixed feelings this time of year. Excitement, disappointment, anxiety, depression, hope and fear all rolled into one package.

Excitement..... the combine is coming up. So is Free Agency and then the Draft. It is these times that I feel excitement. Watching the college players at the combine, hearing about certain players in Free Agency that the Eagles are targeting, and watching the draft live.

Disappointment.......the feeling I get when the Eagles fail to make moves to help the team. The feeling I get when we draft players that don't fit what we need, while seeing other players that we need get picked after us.

Anxiety......hearing a player is visiting the Eagles. Watching the draft and seeing a player I like still on the board when the Eagles are ready to pick.

Depression........seeing players bypass the Eagles for other teams. Watching players that I really like get drafted by other teams. Watching the Eagles sign players that don't fit what we need.

Hope .... the feeling I have at the beginning of the offseason. It's hoping we sign a CB or DE that can make plays. It's hoping we trade for a number one WR. It's hoping the draft if for this year and not the future.

Fear......the feeling I get when I hear the Front Office explain the moves they made. It's the feeling I get when we bypass players to get what the Front Office thinks is good for the team. And it is usually the feeling I get after the draft when the players we drafted aren't familiar.

So as you can see, the offseason is full of emotions. Will it be an offseason of joy or pain? We will find out in a few weeks.