Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tough Decisions Ahead

Sometime between now and the start of training camp on July 21, Eagles coach Andy Reid is going to have to release eight players who participated in the just-completed organized team activity (OTA).

The demise of NFL Europe robbed the Eagles and the rest of the NFL of the roster exemptions they were allowed to use at the start of training camp. As a result, only 80 of the 88 players who were running around the NovaCare Complex the last two months will be allowed to make the trip to Lehigh University.

Reid and his staff will carefully review the tapes from the minicamps and OTAs before making the cuts in hopes of avoiding a mistake similar to one he made while an assistant with Green Bay.

"The coaches and I were just talking about that on the field today," Reid said after Thursday's final OTA. "The first guy that came to mind was (Arizona Cardinals quarterback and former league MVP) Kurt Warner. We had him in Green Bay (in 1994), and he was afraid to even go in and call the plays in the huddle. And yet, the guy's one of the greatest players to play in this league.

"I was wrong. It happens. You never know, so you give people a shot as long as you can give them a shot. And then you have to make the judgment call. You're not always going to be right, but hopefully you're right more than you're wrong."

The Eagles' cuts this week will mostly be comprised of rookie free agents who were long shots to make the team, anyway.

There are four such players among 11 wide receivers currently on the team and three among the 11 linebackers. One or two rookie free agents usually wind up making the regular-season roster, but it will be difficult this season because of the depth at most positions.

"A couple of us really tried to step it up today and show the coaches something," said Gary Butler, a linebacker from Division II California (Pa.). "I thought I had a real good day, and I can only hope the coaches see some potential. We'll just have to see how things play out."

There could be some surprises on the list. Dan Klecko, who signed as a veteran free agent, now finds himself near the bottom of the depth chart at defensive tackle after getting switched from fullback earlier in the week. Michael Gasperson, a three-year veteran of the Eagles' practice squad, is back at wide receiver after a brief stint at tight end.

Reid and his staff could even decide that some veterans would be better off seeking employment elsewhere. If that's the case, defensive end Jerome McDougle and running back Ryan Moats could be packing their bags soon.

McDougle, the Eagles' first-round draft pick in 2003, is entering the final season of the six-year, $9.5-million contract he signed as a rookie. Most of his first five seasons were a waste, due to a myriad of injuries and a gunshot wound suffered just before he was due to report to training camp in 2005.

The 29-year-old has played in just 33 career games and has three sacks. He missed all of last season with a torn triceps. The addition of veteran free agent Chris Clemons and third-round draft pick Bryan Smith left McDougle as the seventh defensive end behind starters Trent Cole and Juqua Thomas, plus Victor Abiamiri, Clemons, Darren Howard and Smith.

"I don't want to just make the team; I want to make a difference," McDougle said. "I was a first-round pick for a reason. When I'm healthy, I can play with the best of them. The coaches must know that or they would have gotten rid of me a long time ago.

"I feel good right now, and hopefully I can stay that way. If I can, it will be up to me to seize the bull by the horns and take advantage of the opportunity when it comes my way."

Moats, a third-round pick in 2005, also missed all of last season after suffering a broken ankle during the first preseason game.

Moats showed flashes of potential as a rookie, averaging 5.1 yards per carry while rushing for 278 yards. But he rarely left the bench the following season while he struggled to master the playbook and was hampered by fumbles during training camp last summer before he got hurt.

The Eagles traded for Lorenzo Booker during the draft in April to serve as Brian Westbrook's main backup. Correll Buckhalter and Tony Hunt are also vying for roster spots with Moats.

"I stopped worrying about that stuff a long time ago," Moats said. "I know what I can do, and (the coaches) know what I can do. I've proven what I can do when I've been given the opportunity, but I just haven't had a lot of opportunities.

"I don't know when my next chance will come around, but when it does, I'll be ready. Hopefully, I'll still be here, but if not, I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles."

LINK TO ARTICLE