Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Just A Hunch

From SixerFan78:

I was talking with my pop a couple days ago about the Birds, and he really gets the sense that they could be gearing up for a serious run in 2009/10......I told him I was little skeptical, but I decided to do a little research on the idea......I came up with these thoughts:

1. The Eagles have 9 picks next year, including 2 first rounders.......With all the talent in next year's draft, I'd be disappointed if the Eagles didn't walk away with atleast a minimum of 2 immediate starters at positions of need.

2. They will have cap space as always......Question is, will they use it in the right spots during FA?......WR, TE, S, OT, PK, P, and FB all COULD be needs after this year, unless a few players step up this year.

3. Quite a few elite receivers will most certainly be available via the trade market......Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, and Anquan Boldin could all be available since they will be closer to FA.....Those teams will look to move them more next offseason than they did this offseason......With a good amount of early picks and available roster players, I will be really pissed if they don't target a legit #1. (Hell, I'm still pissed they haven't gotten a #1 target this offseason)

4. The age factor of the team's core.......I've said this in another thread, but I'll say it again......This could be the last year for Dawkins, Smith, Runyan, Thomas, and even Akers ......If these guys have solid seasons, and they attempt to resign some of these guys, then I think that will show their intentions for the possibility of making a run in 2009/10.

5. Will McNabb stay and will Sheppard be dealt?.....If Mcnabb shows he is healthy and returns to form this season, this is his team, not Kolb's......If Lito proves he can stay healthy, I'd imagine it will increase his trade value or the possibility of the Eagles trying to keep him.

6. Most young players should be ready to take the next step by then:
-(Andrews and Cole are already probowl players)
-(Bunkley and Patterson should also make it to a few in the near future too)
-(Gaither, Gocong, Herremans, J. Jackson, Curtis, and Brown have all proven to be pretty good players, so it would be nice if they can improve their play a bit more)
-(Bradley, Abiamiri, Justice, Hunt, Jean-Gilles, and Celek all have potential to be good to great starters or backups, but time will tell with them.......All 6 of them could likely wind up being a big part of the Eagles core in 09)
-(Clemons, Mikell, Hanson, Avant, Booker, Parker, and Jordan should all be good to great backups this season, and it shouldn't be surprising to see most of these guys take a significant amount of snaps this season)
-(Laws, Jackson, and Demps could all potentially fight for starting spots as early as this year, but most of the other picks from this year shouldn't contribute too much.......Most of these picks will contribute in 09/10......One name to remember is Jack Ikegwuonu.......If he is 100%, he could possibly claim the nickelback spot next year if Lito is moved.



I haven't written the Eagles off this season because I think they should be a very good team this year......I'm just not sure if I'm ready to call them a Superbowl contender right now, but you never know......After doing a bit of research, I can tell you it opened up my eyes a bit to idea that my dad brought up........There is certainly more question marks this season than there will likely be in 09/10.......With that being said, does anybody agree with the idea about them gearing up for a Superbowl run in 09/10, rather than this year?